Job Title: Family Engagement Liaison
Organization Name and Location: Beyond Housing, 4156 Manchester Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63110
Overview: Beyond Housing exists because home matters. We begin with actual houses and housing preservation, focusing on quality and stability to give people a place to start. But there is more to a home than the house ~ home is about the life that happens in and around the house, as well as the life that fuels and draws out the best of the people within it. That life, in turn, is shaped by the community, its influences, its structures, and the people and dynamics that define it.
Beyond Housing helps entire communities become better places to live. We engage where we’re needed, focusing on building consensus among leaders, providing and preserving housing, fostering community structures that shape lives, and guiding systems that make people’s lives better.
We lead with vision for what a community can be ~ every community is different, but thriving communities tend to share the same basic set of positive traits regarding housing, safety, education, health, infrastructure, and access to basic human services.
We bring together leaders and resources, volunteers and citizens, and pursue a wide assortment of creative approaches to build stronger, healthier communities for life.
Finally, we are community builders, not kingdom builders. “It’s their neighborhood, future, & dreams”. Our objective is to help build, and contribute the good things we do for the sake of adding value to the lives of the people we’re honored to serve.
Job Information: The Family Engagement Liaison’s primary purpose is to provide support to the parents and school community by providing resources and training, fostering collaboration between home and school in the Normandy School District Collaborative. An ideal candidate would be an individual who has prior experience working with parents, preferably in a school setting and providing information on services available to families. The candidate must be able to build relationships between school, families and the community.
This position is a temporary full time non –exempt (hourly) position that works 10 ½ months during the Normandy School District Collaborative school schedule.
- Investigate family needs with an emphasis on basic needs, investigation should include working closely with Teachers, Principals, Support service providers in schools, as well as Parents/Guardians
- Work in collaboration with school administration to support school needs
- Must conduct home visits as needed when determined by management
- Organizes and delivers parent education classes and workshops based on identified needs
- Participates in trainings, workshops and/or presents approved information on topics such as: effective home-school communications, effective parenting, basic computer skills, nutrition, physical health, testing, high school graduation requirements, and other programs of the Normandy School District Collaborative
- Assists in planning school activities such as field trips, parent conferences, Open Houses, Back-to-School nights, recognition activities and community meetings
- Assist parents with issues and referrals/ resources with: health coverage for children, social services, English Language Learning (ELL) services, homeless services, immigration, and basic needs like food, clothing and transportation
- Assist with increasing school attendance efforts and academic performance
- Recruit parent volunteers as ambassadors
- Communicate identified needs with the manager biweekly and plan to match resources with needs
- May attend community meetings, recruit parent volunteers and other subject matter experts
- Conduct parent satisfaction surveys bi- annually
- Complete reports and track case management by working with manager bi-weekly
- Host monthly Family Engagement Liaison Staff Meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- Collaborative -- A dynamic personality that is collaboratively minded, can recognize and identify strengths, seek consensus around mutual goals, and build meaningful relationships.
- Creative and Curious -- A systems-thinker and builder, who is not afraid to be innovative in designing solutions and has skills in articulating these ideas and concepts.
- Methodical -- Strong analytical, systems, and problem solving skills to evaluate performance, prepare reports, and recommend/implement solutions using independent judgment. Ability to move from concepts to action through strong program design and evaluation.
- Reliable -- Leadership skills that reflect and value a team approach, demonstrated integrity, effectiveness, efficiency, and the ability to deliver high quality service. Highly capable of handling multiple tasks, projects and timelines. Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Trusted -- Ability to work with residents, partners, and staff of diversified backgrounds with a positive, optimistic, solutions oriented attitude. Shares a deep respect for the community, its stakeholders and the residents that we serve.
- Driven -- Passion for the work and an interest in continuous learning and improvement.
- High School Diploma or GED required. Some college preferred
- Prior experience in a school setting preferred
- Experience working with children and families.
- Must have an ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Position requires exceptional customer service skills
- Knowledge of school academic and parent assistance programs
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Computer literate including knowledge of Microsoft Applications including Word and Excel
- Must be able to create reports and prepare documents supporting efforts to outcomes
- Must have reliable transportation, a valid driver’s license, and proof of insurance
- Position requires driving to home visits as needed
- Must have ability to work a flexible schedule including some evenings and weekends
How to submit a resume: Please send resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to HR@BeyondHousing.org.
For more information on Beyond Housing, visit www.beyondhousing.org
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Beyond Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer.