Position Description: Teacher at Flance Early Learning Center
The Flance Early Learning Center is a diverse, intentional early childhood community that respects and nurtures children and adults in a trusting culture of love, empathy, compassion, and joy that is guided by visionary leadership. An integral part of our mission and practice is developing partnerships and educational outreach to the larger St. Louis community.
Teachers work in either the Preschool or Infant/Toddler program. All teachers are responsible for care related to the safety, health and hygiene of the children in the Center. It is expected that teachers will be active members of the Center contributing to staff meetings, attending parent meetings, staying current in the field of early childhood education, and continuously tending their own professional growth.
Classes are team taught; teachers interact daily with their co-teacher as well as their supervisor, the Center Director, training consultants, and others. Teachers interact intensively with the children in their care and their families.
May supervise classroom volunteers.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities
- With the co-teacher, plans, organizes and implements a program for a group of children that is consistent with the LUME approach and Flance Center program setting individual and group goals on a regular basis
- Maintains a safe and healthy classroom environment in accordance with Center policies, licensing and other regulations and best practices
- Manages the classroom using appropriate materials, daily routines and emotionally supportive techniques
- Maintains a comprehensive record of children’s growth and development, including individual plans and journal entries, as well as other reports and records
- Maintains supportive contact with parents including: writing reports, conducting parent-teacher conferences, and attending parent group meetings.
- Supervises classroom volunteers
- Professional development: maintains 15 or more continuing education hours per year, and a Professional Development file
- Creates continuity for children and families by participating in daily check-ins and information sharing with co-teacher(s), supervisor(s) and others as appropriate
- Conducts appropriate developmental screenings
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to communicate with and maintain a welcoming and constructive relationship with children and adults
- Must be patient, nurturing, flexible and dedicated; be willing to take responsibility and initiative; able to see the individuality in every child
- Ability to accept direction and coaching in a constructive manner, able to learn about oneself and how it impacts teaching; willing to learn and change when necessary
- Committed to continuous learning and growth as a professional
- Ability to plan, organize and adapt programs to different age groups
- Must have CPR and First Aid training/certification
Primarily works in a classroom and outdoor play areas. Noise and activity levels can be high; children require constant supervision and cooperation by teachers. Position requires a health screen, TB test, Hepatitis A vaccination, and annual record check. Flance Center is a busy, unique environment. Employees are expected to participate fully in the life of the Center. Because of the constant interaction with children, must be able to lift and carry 25 lbs. and be active in the classroom and outdoors (including sitting on floor, standing for long periods, squatting, bending, stooping, moving about quickly, etc.).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or Child Development preferred
- AA, CDA or a combination of education and experience equivalent to a degree in early childhood education
- Must be 18 years old and a high school graduate or equivalent
- Knowledge of behavior management and Developmentally Appropriate Practices
- Specific knowledge or experience working with infants and toddlers or preschool children depending on the classroom
Please visit http://www.flancecenter.org/hiring/ for more information.
To apply, submit a resume with a cover letter to email@example.com..