Position Description: Part-Time/Substitute Teacher at Flance Early Learning Center
The Flance Early Learning Center is a diverse, intentional early childhood community that respects and nurtures children and adults in a trusting culture of love, empathy, compassion, and joy that is guided by visionary leadership. An integral part of our mission and practice is developing partnerships and educational outreach to the larger St. Louis community.
All teachers are responsible for the health and well-being of the children in the Center. Part-Time/Substitute Teachers may be assigned at various times on various days during the open days and times of the Center.
Part-Time/Substitute Teachers interact with other teachers in the classroom, as well as the Director of Early Learning, and others. All teachers interact fully with the children in their care and their families. Teachers in these programs must inform and be informed by the primary teaching team to ensure continuity of care.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities
- With other teachers, implements developmentally appropriate experiences that are consistent with the LUME philosophy of Flance Early Learning Center
- Maintains a safe and healthy classroom environment in accordance with Center policies, licensing and other regulations and best practices
- Manages the classroom using appropriate materials, daily routines and behavioral management techniques
- Reports and receives relevant information from/to the primary teaching team; conveys messages or information from parents, alerts primary team to concerns, receives any necessary updates
- Maintains supportive contact with parents
- Professional development
- Maintains a minimum 12 hours continuing education hours per year
- Maintains a Professional Development file
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to communicate with and maintain a welcoming and constructive relationship with children and adults
- Ability to accept direction and coaching in a constructive manner
- Ability to plan, organize and adapt programs to different age levels
- Must have CPR and First Aid training/certification
Primarily works in a classroom and outdoor play areas. Noise and activity levels can be high; children require constant supervision and cooperation by teachers. Position requires a health screen, hepatitis A vaccination, and Family Care Safety Registry background check. Flance Center is a busy, unique environment. Employees are expected to participate fully in the life of the Center. Because of the constant interaction with children, must be able to lift and carry 25 lbs. and be active in the classroom and outdoors (including sitting on the floor, standing for long periods, squatting, bending, stooping, moving about quickly, etc.).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or Child Development preferred
- AA, CDA or a combination of education and experience equivalent to a degree in early childhood education
- Must be 18 years old and a high school graduate or equivalent
- Knowledge of behavior management and Developmentally Appropriate Practices
- Specific knowledge or experience working with infants and toddlers or preschool children depending on the classroom
Please visit http://www.flancecenter.org/hiring/ for more information.
To apply, submit a resume with a cover letter to email@example.com.